- 1 6-7 pound whole beef tenderloin
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher salt
- 3 Tablespoons black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons bacon grease (everyone in the South has a jar in their fridge-make that a New Year’s Resolution, right along with “get more exercise”)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 450.
Trim the tough fat from the surface of the tenderloin. Discard the fat or give it to your dog if you want a friend for life. In a medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper and sugar. Next, drizzle in 1/3 cup olive oil. Finally, add the bacon grease. Stir the mixture and set aside.
Heat a heavy skillet over very high heat. Add the butter and remaining Tablespoon of olive oil. When the pan is very hot, place the tenderloin in it. Sear both sides for 1-1 ½ minutes until the sides start to turn brown. Remove the meat from the skillet and place on a roasting rack on a baking sheet. Pour the seasoning mixture over the meat. Rub it into the meat with your fingers, coating evenly.
Roast the meat in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 120-125. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Remove the meat from the oven and allow it to rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes. Slice and serve!